Wednesday 28 August 2013

A New WIP and not a Shawl in Sight.........

Hello there, I hope you all had a great weekend, I went to a wedding and is was absolutely beautiful. The bride was stunning and the whole day was just perfect. I would love to share the day with you in a separate post. 


I'm back today to share this week's WIP's, I haven't done so much this week as I have a sore shoulder. I'm on the second Mock Cable Sock by Wendy Johnson, which I have called Coffee and Cream. I was hoping to finish them before the end of the month but that's not going to happen, now.

As I'm linking this to the Yarn Along over at the Small Things blog, I've included what I'm reading on my Kindle. I am still reading Inferno by Dan Brown, which I tend to read before I go to sleep but if I'm out and about, my Kindle is in my bag and I've just started to read The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway.



I'm not too far into yet but an old fisherman named Santiago, who still goes fishing each day and keeps coming back empty handed, has a friend, a young boy named Manolin.  He helps the old man, each time he comes back from his boat, carrying his gear, giving him food and chatting about baseball. It is one of Hemingway's major works which won him the Pulitzer Prize for fiction in 1953, it was also made into a film, which I will watch after I've read the book. Do you prefer to read the book first or watch the film first?


I've also started the Sideways Knitted Cardigan by Debbie Bliss, it is the pattern on the front of this book. It has some beautiful patterns inside too, the Debbie Bliss Rialto Lace yarn has some really pretty colours to choose from, I went with colour 17, Sky. This will be a long term project, it is not TV knitting or a project to take to my craft group, it is a pattern that I need to concentrate on but I am loving the pattern.



I'll be starting a new project soon using some Rowan Cashsoft DK, that I have in my stash, I'm just deciding which two colour combo's to go with. I will tell you more about it, next week, when I have cast on.


Something else that I would like to make, is a drawstring project bag using this gorgeous Riley Blake "Little Red Riding Hood" fabric, designed by Tasha Noel. I'm not accomplished at sewing but I've found this free online class from Craftsy called Bag Making Basics, so I'm going to give it a  a go.

I've finished my French Cancan, which as I'm writing this, is soaking in the sink ready to block. I use a product called "Soak" in Aquae, it is a gentle no-rinse soak that softens and relaxes the fibre's of your delicate yarn, leaving a beautiful, fresh scent. I will show you the FO on Friday.

That's all from me, if you want to see other WIP's, pop over to Tami's blog and Ginny's blog and check out what everyone else has been up to this week.


Enjoy the rest of the week.
xxxxDebxxx

14 comments:

Hannah said...

Such lovely yarn and fabric choices!
I think your socks are going to be wonderful and your kindle cover is so pretty, too!

steph said...

thanks for sharing the craftsy site....i really need all the help i can get with my sewing attempts!!!! love the yarn you've chosen to use.....and that lace project is fabulous.....must peek at that book!!!

moleymakes said...

Great yarn selections. I look forward to seeing your progress on the Sideways Knitted Cardi. You've chosen a gorgeous shade of blue. It really is Sky Blue.

I have to ask you where you got your Kindle Skin from. I've got an older model too but I've just got a silicon skin. Yours look prettier than mine.

I love the Old Man and the Sea, it's one of my favourites of his. The film was really good too, with Spencer Tracy playing the part of Santiago. Although it's been years since I've seen it, I thought it was a good adaptation.

Lovely fabric for your bag making class. I'm thinking of signing up to that one too.

Ginx Craft said...

I love the Little Red Riding Hood material. Very cute.

Stefanie said...

Beautiful materials. That blue is so lovely. The lace is pretty.

Hazels Crochet said...

Oh your work is absolutely exquisite! And your socks definitely look like coffee and cream! Yummy!

Hope your shoulder is ok!x

Alisa said...

such lovely projects....I have made a few project bags and they are pretty easy ans turn out cute! Good luck with yours! Your lace cardigan is coming along nicely and I love that color!!

Unknown said...

you have some beautiful projects under way. I really like the debbie bliss cardi, lovely colour.

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Such beautiful colors for your yarn and loveeeeeeee the fabric!!!

Unknown said...

Your WIPs are all sooooo beautiful! Even the fabric that is waiting to become a WIP - I love that fabric range. I'm also new-ish to sewing, and I can't help but buy lovely fat quarters with no project! Your cardigan project is exquisite. You are one very talented lady! Chrissie x PS I love the Van Gogh Kindle skin - where did you find it?

gilly said...

Wow, you are keeping very busy despite that sore shoulder! Hope you feel better soon, and am looking forward to seeing more of all these WIPs!
Xx

Ros Crawford said...

You have some lovely yarns there and very pretty fabric ... I find keeping busy helps with the shoulder ... it doesn't ease the pain but it helps you to forget! Hope we both get better soon!!

Unknown said...

You certainly chose some of the finest yarns Deb, and be careful with that shoulder, I've had a similar problem a decade ago (of working behind the pc for too long), rest helps (and you're doing so much knitting and all). Get well soon! Ira x
Ira’s Crea Corner

Unknown said...

Beautiful work once again my friend. I have read Old man of the sea. And yes I love to read the book before seeing the movie..

Hugs~

The Handmade Sock Society 3 by Helen Stewart

Hello there, I just wanted to let you all know that Season 3 of  The Handmade Sock Society  is available for pre-sale  here  with an Ea...